[opendtv] Re: Finally anamorphically compressed 480i

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:36:08 -0500

At 9:14 AM -0500 1/23/11, John Shutt wrote:
Since PBS doesn't send SD to their member stations, legacy full screen SD
material is sent as pillarboxed 4:3 within a 1080i30 frame, with the
appropriate AFD code "center cut safe."  If that content is broadcast on an
HD channel to the viewer, the AFD code is also transmitted.  If it is
downconverted to SD by the station for a subchannel, it should be center cut
by the station for a full frame 4:3 program.

What is the actual raster spec for these transmissions?

1440 x 1088i?

This is a messy conversion that involves deinterlacing the 480i source, upscaling to 1440 x 1080 then re-interlacing. Then this must be undone at the station...

Yuch!

Never really did understand why PBS went 1080i.

Actually I do understand that Sony's "generosity" drove the decision, but it was probably the worst decision that Howard Miller made as Director of Engineering. To make matters worse, I attended many ATSC meetings with him, and I know he knew better...