[opendtv] Re: Finally anamorphically compressed 480i

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:02:51 -0500

Well, today for the first time ever, I got to see real anamorphic 16:9 SDTV, at very long last. Both of the Euronews streams are now transmitted that way.

First time ever? Really?

Do you have a DVD player?

Which makes me wonder, how come this one station (MHz Networks), transmitting on two 6 MHz channels, sends the 16:9 France 24 stream as postage stamp SD, and two other subchannels as anamorphic 16:9 SD? I can imagine the confusion of the viewers. Not to mention, the problem with unadjustable hotel TV sets.

We can only speculate why some channels are incorrectly compressed. Could be that this is the way they receive the feeds and they don't have an easy way to decompress, scale and recompress to do it right. They might even be creating the multiplex from compressed streams, rather than converting everything in the station to baseband then recompressing...

Of course, in a digital world, this is the proper way to create a multiplex.

As for hotels, they probably don't get any of this stuff as it is likely they have cable and most of these sub channels are not carried...