[opendtv] Re: Finally anamorphically compressed 480i

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 01:33:02 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> But then we would be lowering the effective horizontal resolution of
> the 4:3 material, which still makes up the vast majority of
> programming on an SD channel.

Oops, I really blew this last time.

Right. If you send 4:3 SD typically as 640 X 480, all that 640 would be
horizontal image resolution, either on a 4:3 set or a 16:9 set. If instead you
send it as squeezed and pillarboxed 704 X 480, the effective horizontal pixels
would be 529 (= 704 * 1.33/1.77). So like you say, you do lose horizontal
resolution.

For the old analog 4:3 sets, that's still probably more horizontal resolution
than they need.

> Almost 100% of the AFD encoded material we receive from PBS is HD
> material, with AFD instructions for downconversion.

Most of PBS SD content seems to be pillarboxed 4:3, although I've occasionally
seen postage stamp 16:9 too. So I take it the stations don't have much say in
how that gets sent out over SD subchannels.