[opendtv] Re: Finally anamorphically compressed 480i

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 03:20:50 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> The second source of the postage stamp effect, and I believe the
> one you are referring to, results when SD source material consists
> of letterboxed 16:9 within a 4:3 frame, is not AFD coded, and gets
> upconverted to HD. In the absence of AFD codes, the default up
> conversion is to pillarbox the 4:3 frame, which results in postage
> stamping at the receiver when viewed in HD.

I misread the first time. Thought you said this was being downconverted to SD
by the station before transmission too.

If the ultimate transmission is HD, then this postage stamp scenario is
particularly bad. There's nothing the user can do on most 16:9 TV sets, except
enjoy the wasted screen real estate all around the image. Once the set has
stretched out the image to fill the 16:9 screen, and this they all do by
default with 720p or 1080i signals, there is no more zooming into postage stamp
images.

Same question I asked before, but no reference to 704 X 480. Is it not possible
for a station to detect this postage-stamp-HD stream manually, and zoom in
before transmission? Rather than let it go as is for one or two hours?