[opendtv] Re: Did Apple Just Crush the Next Revolution?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:21:29 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> If it works for sports, it will work outdoors, and could be used at any
> outdoor venue that a nefarious government wouldn't want "youtubed."

Well, exactly.

My reaction was, also, who appointed Apple as our nanny, to control our
behavior for matters that have nothing to do with Apple? Even though I think
Kon is right, that these techniques can all be circumvented, it's still the
mindset that is obnoxious.

Not much different from PVR makers who allow broadcasters to prevent us from
time-shift recording, even though the US courts said this is perfectly legal.
Who appointed the CE companies as our nannies?

Copying the movie through a camera in the audience is illegal. Fine. No one
appointed Apple as our movie-copy-prevention police.