[opendtv] Re: Did Apple Just Crush the Next Revolution?

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:32:40 -0400

On 6/19/2011 8:39 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Last time I went to the theater I was surfing on my iPhone during the
commercials before the movie. A guy behind me got upset and asked me to
turn the phone off because the screen was bothering him...

I don't blame him.

When I go to the theater I expect no outside interruptions from modern communications devices or from other patrons.

The Philadelphia Orchestra has a standing policy that all concert patrons must "disconnect their watches that beep on the hour, turn their cell phones to 'vibrate' and turn off any other communications devices to prevent any intrusion of noise for all concert goers."

I was attending a performance there and at 9:00 PM, beeping watches everywhere in the Academy of Music shattered the quiet during a violin solo. The Conductor stopped the proceedings and waited a full minute for complete silence to return before beginning the music again.

Just because everybody drags their modern marvels of *disruption* with them everywhere they go to show off or 'be in touch' does not make it acceptable in any way with regard to proper social behavior, decorum or etiquette.

There are cars on AMTRAK just for cell phone users, because most riders HATE to hear other people talking loudly and disturbing the peace.

I hate grocery shopping because of all the people who think NOTHING of
having LOUD personal cell phone conversations while in public places.

Just because you can does NOT mean you may.

Cliff Benham