[opendtv] Re: Did Apple Just Crush the Next Revolution?

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:13:39 -0400

On 6/19/2011 2:32 PM, Cliff Benham wrote:

On 6/19/2011 8:39 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Last time I went to the theater I was surfing on my iPhone during the
commercials before the movie. A guy behind me got upset and asked me to
turn the phone off because the screen was bothering him...

One other point: Modern image displays produce 150 - 200 Ft. Lamberts of brightness so you can use them in the noon day sun.

The average brightness of movie theater screens, whether the projector lamphouse has a 10 KW carbon arc or a more modern Xenon Lamp, is still only 10 to 15 Ft. Lamberts. Much dimmer than any consumer TV display.

The house lighting in theaters is controlled automatically so that 7 to 10 minutes before the first images appear on the screen, the lights have been dimming slowly from full up to extremely dim, so that over this time the human eyes can become accustomed to the dark and adjust to the low light level coming from the screen.

A really bright iPhone in a dark theater can negate all this very quickly.

Cliff