[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters, Cable Spar over Retrans

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 18:40:18 -0400

When Hulu creates its own lineup of prime-time quality programming free of charge to the viewers, then I will believe that there has been a paradigm shift in television viewing.

Until then, all versions of "cutting the cord" represents marginal additional revenue that would not exist were it not for the first run network television presentation of the programming.

Even inexpensive 'unscripted reality' programming like 'Meet the Kardasians' could not exist based solely on Hulu ad rates.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hulu Plus is brand new, and should be considered as a addition to Hulu Non-Plus. So your comparison is not quite valid.> Besides which, no reason to expect that to last, unless the content owners like it this way. I'm not sure about this, but don't the congloms also own the majority of the movie studios? Why should they not carry everything that Netflix carries right there in Hulu Plus?

I do take your point of saying that the congloms themselves don't need to exist. We'll see how that shakes out. It still costs money to produce really good movies and TV shows, Craig. Good enough that the entire world wants to use them.