[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:19:47 -0700

Bert wrote:
> Wait, wait, Frank does make an interesting point. Just what did the FCC
> assume to create its DTT coverage contours, compared with other
> RF services?
> I was too lazy to ferret out the cell phone or DBS assumptions
> Frank wonders
> about, but I knew right where to go for the French TNT system.

I fail to see the purpose for studying cell phone or DBS assumptions and
link budgets are already understood - made more difficult/dynamic for 8VSB
multipath demodulation. We all know well the FCC assumptions (planning
factor) for obtaining desired DTV coverage and the propagation of television
signals has been extensively studied and understood. Unfortunately the CE
folks failed to honor these assumptions and under pressure, adopted A74,
which is also deficient in certain critical areas. However, my BS remark was
as much aimed at Frank's very weak analogy as anything else....

You simply went for the CE's "obfuscation method #1", (as have I) which they
typically use whenever an improvement or change is requested at ATSC and
other venues. The current body of work is seldom acceptable and detailed
studies and/or field testing is requested before any further consideration.
I could give examples but am unable to per CA.

On the other hand, your comparison to the TNT system is excellent and
worthwhile and your conclusions make sense, though they were not actually
needed for the current discussion, IMO.

BTW, I do have a hard copy of OET69.

Dale