[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 16:37:50 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It is very interesting to note what is happening in the
> real world OUTSIDE of broadcast television.
>
> The only "Big Sticks" you will find are called satellites.
>
> Down here on Earth, transmission infrastructures are
> adapting to real world requirements and the scarcity of
> spectrum. The only real change in my lifetime is that the
> technology has evolved, making it possible to open up
> chunks of higher frequency spectrum for some new
> applications like cell phones.

I think you are mixing apples and oranges. All infrastructures that
require wide coverage in a wireless *broadcast* protocol medium use big
sticks. These can be terrestrial towers or satellites, the ultimate big
stick. This includes radio.

If there is a desire to limit the signal density, then the power of the
big sticks is limited, and more of them are deployed. Translators,
mostly, because they can be used without the difficult side-effects of
SFNs.

Only in cases where two-way comms are required is the coverage of any
single stick severely limited, and that is only possible because there
is a wired infrastructure under all of this, to provide the wide area
coverage (if wide area coverage is needed).

None of this has anything to do with policis. This is simple physics.