[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 19:08:52 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

Unfortunately this hasn't happened for the most part.

But receivers are better than what they were before the "tuner mandate." I'm an optimist. If there's room for improvement with known techniques, this is good.

Those who opine that OTA is a loser and therefore making
improvements is unnecessary, are simply creating a self fulfilling
prophesy.

Yes, of course. These guys usually have their own agenda, though, which shouldn't be ignored. It's like the developer making the case to the town council that the open beaches should be "developed." Not exactly surprising. Anyway, FOTA radio and TV are still considered important here and elsewhere, so that's that.

The signal margin issue for TV OTA service is the same everywhere, as far as I can tell. It seems to be universally true that OTA TV systems expect the receiver and receive antenna to compensate for weak signals. Similar to DBS, but unlike radio or cell phone services.

We already went through the situation in France, which is no different from here. Germany is also the same story. Take a look at the overall coverage expectations:

http://www.garv.de/

Click on "zur Karte DVB-T Versorgung" (DVB-T access map).

The yellow areas are good for indoor antenna reception. The pink are outdoor antenna. The green are "roofmounted" antenna. The white areas have no DVB-T coverage.

I don't get the impression that there is any lavish signal margin in Germany either, even though they operate at higher power than some other countries, and use 16-QAM, 2/3 FEC, and 1/8 or 1/4 GI (i.e. 1.7 to 1.9 b/s/Hz).

When I see the same story repeated everywhere, I wonder just how badly the FCC has planned. And in spite of all the negativism, we have had HDTV FOTA for almost 9 years, and have been operating at 3.3 b/s/Hz for that long too. Can't be all bad. Others are still having to figure out how to introduce anything better than MPEG-2 MP at ML.