[opendtv] Re: Continuous performance improvements or not

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:12:36 -0500

Same applies with ATSC. You have to use, for example, MPEG-2 TS. But
having done that, a broadcasters can create new services, as long as the
lower layer protocol requirements are met. You want to stream data? Go
ahead. Just be sure it is identified properly, so it doesn't conflict
with other protocols and confuse existing receivers. SAME AS the
Internet.

Cool. So I can broadcast using H.264 as long as the bits are delivered using the MPEG-2 Transport protocol?

 But millions of people could be using the technology before the
 > creator seeks standardization via the IETF.

No. Be careful of the protocol layers. You cannot invent a new TCP and
deploy it over the Internet, for example, without going through the
process. But yes, you can invent some new upper layer protocol, that
doesn't conflict, offer a service, and then go after standardization to
enable interoperability with other vendors.

Thank You!

 But then, who really cares?

 Just for grins, take a look at this informal voters poll conducted
 by Broadcast Engineering:

 > http://broadcastengineering.com/poll_results/?poll_id=2744348106

 The website was down when I wrote this, but I think the link is
 still good.

So, 50 percent of those polled say they can see an end to OTA
broadcasting, and 50 percent say no or are unsure. So what?

Or do you believe that by incessant nay-saying, you might hasten the
demise?

I just found it interesting that 50% of the people who responded to this poll think that their days are numbered...