[opendtv] Re: Continuous performance improvements or not

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:15:04 -0800

> My second comment is that the noise figure is secondary to all of this,
> no?

Spent last week in the hospital so am getting back to this subject a little
late but then I don't intend belabor the issue in any case. However, I would
say "No" regarding your read of the importance of noise figure (perhaps John
W. can comment on this issue).
Noise figure, as I recall it, is the measure of noise generated within a
receivers circuitry prior to the demodulator and it can/does impact TOV. It
is not difficult to produce a packaged receiver in the 7db NF range but the
typical DTV receiver of a couple of years ago, at least, was in the 12 to
14db range. An engineer from a major receiver design company advised me, at
that time, that we would not be happy with the performance of receivers they
designed to the major TV manufactures spec, which as I recall were generally
A/74 like. Not only was NF high but he also said that selectivity was very
poor.

Dale