[opendtv] Re: Continuous performance improvements or not

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:40:22 -0500

At 12:08 AM -0800 2/19/08, John Willkie wrote:
Craig;

If the FCC had followed your "advice", US TV could now be in the same place
as buyers of Toshiba HD-DVD sets -- the radio tells me that just a few
moments ago, Toshiba announced that they will not sell, make or support
HD-DVD players.

The stupid bastards: they could have had a piece of a bigger pie, instead,
they chose to subsidize players that were better for computer playback than
for home media.

I guess they decided -- effectively -- to stop subdizing the units.  Smart
move that followed their not obviously idiotic decision to not join forces
with Sony.

Uhhhhhhhhhh John...

Neither Toshiba or Sony won this battle. That bigger pie was an illusion.

Blue ray is probably the LAST consumer electronics product where almost everything is locked down in hardware; hardware that is so tied up in knots with DRM that there is a constant litany of problems with new titles. And did I mention the licensing fees?

Consumer have not be asking for it.

The studios have DRM'd it to death.

And Microsoft managed to keep things confused long enough that it no longer matters.

If the FCC had followed the advice of the computer industry and we had built an open platform for DTV people would be lining up to buy receivers, and broadcasters might have a decent future. Instead they are buying big screen TVs, connecting them to cable, DBS, SD-DVD, PS3s, X-boxes, Apple TV, and Media Center PCs.

In case you had not noticed John, the Internet is winning...