[opendtv] Re: ConnecTV is bringing ads to TV viewers' mobile devices

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:17:36 -0800

Some of my friends from LSI Logic and Motorola tried to
start a company (Mosaik Multimedia, Inc.) with a product
very similar to this. They are no longer in business.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, folks do not want to
interact with their TV. Television is a passive experience.

Ron

On 1/5/2013 10:13 AM, Monty Solomon wrote:
ConnecTV is bringing ads to TV viewers' mobile devices

When the Ad Sync technology recognizes a commercial, actor or key
term on television, it can deliver a related ad to the smartphones
and tablet computers in the room.

By Dawn C. Chmielewski, Los Angeles Times
January 4, 2013

A technology company whose iPad and computer application seeks to
make television viewing more "social" is working to make TV
commercials more interactive too.

ConnecTV is launching a new type of advertising network that will
enable brands to enhance their television commercials by delivering a
second-screen experience to smartphones and tablets. The Ad Sync
technology recognizes the spot airing on TV - say, an ad for "The
Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - then delivers information to the
portable devices in the room about the nearest theaters screening the
movie.

A feature called TV Words allows advertisers to buy key terms - much
as brands do now with Internet search through Google Inc.'s AdWords.
Anytime a particular name or phrase is spoken on television, a
related ad would pop up on a smartphone, tablet or computer running
ConnecTV's free app (or other apps that are part of the network).

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-ct-connectv-20130104,0,7034239.story