[opendtv] Re: Chinese Standard

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:06:10 -0400

At 12:08 PM -0400 9/29/06, Bob Miller wrote:

After yesterday I now think there will be only one world standard, DMB-TH. Chinese TV manufacturers will build their TV sets with a receiver that works with all four modulations, DMB-TH, DVB-T/H, ISDB-T and 8-VSB.

The cost difference between doing a receiver that only does one
modulation and one that does all is insignificant at scale in the
short term and non existant in the long term.

Most countries are NOT mandating tuners in new TV's/Monitors.

I would suggest that it is more likely that most of these product will ship without tuners, which can easily be added via a USB2 interface.