[opendtv] Re: Chinese Standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:05:01 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Unfortunately, the VAST majority of people in the U.S. will have
little
> choice but to use STBs, as the mandated tuners are already out of date
> as we move forward with new technologies such as H.264.

I don't think H.264 is imminent for cable or OTA, though. And so far,
cable and OTA are the only media these plug-and-play "tuners" cover. The
two-way plug-and-play are on the way, supposedly.

But certainly, I would agree that the market for STBs will re-emerge
every time you have a new transition, or an attempted transition, taking
place. For example, if cable systems start doing IPTV, I think they call
it switched video or some such, that would create a new reason for an
STB. And those new features which stand the test of time would
eventually become incorporated in integrated sets.

People will go to an STB if the new feature which requires the STB is
desirable enough. Otherwise, people will resist the STB. And that's the
way it should be. You need this pushback to prevent overly aggressive
marketers from deploying systems that are more beneficial to themselves
and less to the consumer.