[opendtv] Re: Chinese Standard

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:53:49 -0400

Are all new monitors shipping with USB ports? Do these monitors have the processor requirements to support a USB based receiver? (in other words, lots of smarts required for USB receiver products...) A lot of assumptions being made based on this statement...IMHO.

Mark
the one that is watching ATSC 8-VSB from his DuoCore based laptop PC via a Fujiplus USB tuner

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

At 12:08 PM -0400 9/29/06, Bob Miller wrote:

After yesterday I now think there will be only one world standard, DMB-TH. Chinese TV manufacturers will build their TV sets with a receiver that works with all four modulations, DMB-TH, DVB-T/H, ISDB-T and 8-VSB.

The cost difference between doing a receiver that only does one
modulation and one that does all is insignificant at scale in the
short term and non existant in the long term.

Most countries are NOT mandating tuners in new TV's/Monitors.

I would suggest that it is more likely that most of these product will ship without tuners, which can easily be added via a USB2 interface.

<> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================
"I like nonsense—it wakes up the brain cells.
Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
It's a way of looking at life through the
wrong end of a telescope...and that enables
you to laugh at all of life's realities."

~ ~ Theodor S. Geisel, a.k.a. "Dr. Seuss" ~ ~
===================================
"All that is necessary for the triumph of
evil is that good men do nothing."

~ ~ ~ ~ Edmund Burke ~ ~ ~ ~
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425