[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Lobby FCC for Cross-Ownership and Duopolies

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:32:15 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But the bottom line is still the same. The reason the congloms can
> only own a few stations was and still is to make certain that there is
> a diversity of ownership.

I did not respond to this immediately and directly enough, so no doubt you will
miss this again.

The congloms are selling their stations. Stations are now mostly AFFILIATED
with a conglom, if anything. The station groups are the major players with the
OTA distribution medium per se.

So, "diversity of ownership" now relates to ownership of distribution pipes
only. Not the content, any longer.

If the cable and DBS distribution pipes can be owned by the same company
nationwide, then I see no reason why the OTA distribution pipe cannot also be
owned by the same few companies, NATIONWIDE. If DirecTV can cover 100 percent
of the US, then there's no reason why Sinclair shouldn't be able to.

And of course, DirecTV and Sinclair would then each negotiate whatever terms,
with the content oweners of the content they choose to transmit.