[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Lobby FCC for Cross-Ownership and Duopolies

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:33:43 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> There are strong difference between cable, DBS and OTA that
> affect how much the FCC can control.  I had always thought
> that the airwaves were considered to be publicly owned and
> the FCC regulated them in the public interest.  That is very
> different than a closed system such as a cable or fiber
> system that is privately owned and/or franchised.  I always
> thought DBS is more like OTA broadcast from a physical
> standpoint but seems to enjoy the attributes of cable.

I do agree with this, Dan. DBS and OTA are more comparable. And also, DBS
enjoys the same perks as cabled systems, not OTA systems.

But the FCC can't hide its head in the sand either. The reality of today is
that the vast majority of people use these MVPDs for news and entertainment,
rather than OTA broadcast networks. Therefore, given this fact of life, it is
uncalled for to put what amounts to destructive limitations ONLY on the FOTA
broadcasters. And to use what amounts to irrelevant rhetoric to support their
position.

Realities matter too. The FCC is grabbing spectrum from broadcasters using
"reality of today" as the excuse. Therefore, we must conclude that the FCC
understands the concept of reality of the marketplace. Rules for OTA pipes must
be modernized.

But okay, if need be, let's see them putting 39 percent national caps on DBS.
We'll start there.