[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Lobby FCC for Cross-Ownership and Duopolies

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:39:12 -0700

It would be my opinion that limits in ownership of various media outlets
are for limiting who controls the news and media sources.  The diversity
(not necessarily cultural diversity but certainly expression and
communication diversity) is hampered when too many outlets are owned by the
same corporation.

It is my opinion that we need to protect diversity and that disallowing
cross-ownership, dual ownership, and conglomeration is a critical part to
maintaining not only the diversity, but the freedom of the press and
opinion.

As a result, there is a vast difference between a content generator, such
as the broadcasters (TV and radio) and periodicals, and the distribution
level, such as MVPDs.  However, it is just as critical that we not let the
companies at the distribution level limit what is distributed, lest we be
in the same situation.

While someone may argue that the MVPDs help with the diversity, allowing
the broadcasting market to be in a duo- or monopoly, since broadcasters are
about the only local news providers to the MVPDs, it is important, in my
opinion, to keep from the conglomeration of the local media providers, even
in different forms.

Also, in my opinion, the national media needs to be diverse so I think it
should apply nationally, not just locally.  Unfortunately, that has already
largely been undone.

I do feel for the media companies in trying to make a profit in this market
and can appreciate the argument that they must become more efficient by
conglomerating and have cross-ownership.  However, I don't think it is
worth compromising our values in the name of commerce.

Dan