[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Lobby FCC for Cross-Ownership and Duopolies

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:18:48 -0700

Dan Wrote:
"As a result, there is a vast difference between a content generator, such
as the broadcasters (TV and radio) and periodicals, and the distribution
level, such as MVPDs."

Bert Wrote:
"This is where we part company.

"Take a broadcaster, like Sinclair, that transmits the CW network in a
given market.

"Then take an MVPD, like Time Warner, that creates HBO."

Actually, I was applying this more to the news segment than to
entertainment.  I realize that there is some cross ownership between the
distribution and production on a national level.  (Actually, that should
throw up a red-flag, in my opinion.)

But here in Las Vegas, Cox produces zero local news and information shows.
It is only the broadcasters and government (including education) sectors
that are producing anything about Las Vegas (barring a couple of reality
shows that I won't take into consideration as being for the public good!)
And while Cox used to be required to provide funding to local content
producers within the franchise agreement with Clark County, they have now
franchised with the State of Nevada and the state did not require any of
this in their agreement!  (The red flags are piling up.)

I realize that there are some major cities with cable networks producing
local news and information shows.  That is great for New York and San
Francisco.  Perhaps Las Vegas is yet another anomaly in a long list
atypical infrastructure and perhaps this is more the norm.  I still have
issues with it.

Dan