[opendtv] Re: Bolivia TV standard mystery

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:45:15 -0500

At 5:11 PM -0800 12/20/06, Dale Kelly wrote:
Bert wrote:
 Believe it or not, you described the "earth scorchers" we'll get here.
 But I do agree it's the right way to go. I think frequency reuse is
 going to be identical here and there, in built-up areas.
 The dense mesh you would need to get cookie cutter patterns is simply
 not practical.

I also agree, FWIW.

Also, I don't believe that recent testing of 8VSB SFNs in a couple of U.S.
cities has been a great success.

I don't think we are talking about systems that use a dense mesh like cellular telephony. The synchronized main transmitters will do the major portion of the work, using a fraction of the power now assigned for ATSC transmission. The on-channel repeater infrastructure will be unique to each market based on topography, terrain blocking, and location of pockets of population. Even here, we are probably talking about "tens" not "hundreds" or"thousands" of repeaters.

Dale could provide significantly improved coverage of his market by using on-channel repeaters to deal with all of the terrain blocking problems.