[opendtv] Re: Bolivia TV standard mystery

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:23:47 -0800

Craig wrote:
> Sounds like most of the needed infrastucture is already in place. In
> this case, it should be possible to use the three sticks already in
> place. You could transmit all three channels (and others)
> synchronously from each stick, probably at somewhat lower power
> levels. A few on channel repeaters would probably be needed to fill
> in some of the valleys that can't see the stick(s) closest to them.

This is so overly simplistic I don't know where to start.
It should suffice to say that whatever one would like to do, it must first
comply with FCC channel allocation R&Rs - which your suggestion clearly does
not. The boundaries of a TV market do not determine a stations authorized RF
coverage area and on-channel repeaters can not be used to extend that
coverage area. Repeaters can only be used to fill in gaps in the stations
authorized area, while extending its coverage outside of the authorized area
requires a translator.
The fact that three broadcast towers are available in each segment of this
market is barely a start; the devil is in the details. One could easily see
each station requiring three DTV translators and up to ten repeaters to
cover 95% of the markets population. This is simply not an investment one
can make in market 121; Cable and DBS have the appropriate business model
and have taken up the slack. I highly doubt if transmission consent payments
were ever an issue here.