[opendtv] Re: Bolivia TV standard mystery

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:39:39 -0800

Craig wrote:

>The on-channel repeater infrastructure will be
> unique to each market based on topography, etc.

> Dale could provide significantly improved coverage of his market by
> using on-channel repeaters to deal with all of the terrain blocking
> problems.

Yes Craig, I do understand the concept. My remarks were directed to the
"pure" SFN installations being tested in at least one U.S. market. A Main TX
and repeater/translator "systems" seems a more practical solution in many
areas.

Regarding my area: the Santa Barbara Mkt. is somewhat a-typical, spanning
the coast for about 150 miles and crisscrossed with very significant
mountain ranges. The network VHF transmitters are scattered from the extreme
North end to the extreme south end of the market. There are very few
population centers that fully receive all three stations, while many receive
none or just one.
Covering this market with OTA UHF DTV would require a large mix of repeaters
and translators*. However, that is an unlikely scenario given that Cable/DBS
service has major penetration - obviously!

* Many population centers have partial coverage with relatively strong
signals from a main transmitter on a high mountain, while the remainder of
the city is blocked. The distance between the repeater/Transmitter are
enough to create receiver EQ difficulties and could require a translator.