[opendtv] Re: Bolivia TV standard mystery

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:08:58 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

Very Interesting. Who funded this infrastructure? I assume,
without any evidence, that it was tax payer supported, at
least initially, ala the BBC model.

I'm not entirely clear on that, Dale. There's what seems to be a subsidiary company, controlled almost entirely by RAI, called Rai Way. It split off from the national radio and TV networks, RAI, in March of 2000, to run and maintain all of the OTA radio and TV infrastructure (maybe also DBS), primarily for RAI, but also for other clients in broadcast and telecom. So given that RAI gets public funds, I guess you've made the correct assumption.

http://www.raiway.rai.it/index.php?lang=IT&cat=121

What isn't clear to me is whether other private broadcasters, e.g. Berlusconi's Mediaset corporation, with programs on three DTT multiplexes (RAI only has two multiplexes), rents room on the Rai Way infrastructure, or whether there are parallel organizations owned by the independent broadcasters that install their own infrastructure.

Then there's an organization called DGTVi, with RAI, Mediaset, and other broadcasters as members, that coordinates the digital system, e.g. by writing the spec for the DTT receivers and for interactivity, to ensure that all DTT broadcasts are compatible, and to ensure compliance with all the Euro laws on the matter.

http://www.dgtvi.it/stat/Altre_sezioni/Associazione_DGTVi/Associazione_DGTVi.html

Assuming Rai Way does rent out room for all broadcasters, this would be similar to how Freeview operates.

I may not have explained the Santa Barbara markets (121st
ranking) transmitter site distribution clearly. The NBC affiliate
is located in the extreme north end of the market and the
ABC station is 100 miles to the south, with CBS being about
in the middle. Santa Maria is centrally located and generally
can receive all three, but it deteriorates rapidly as you move
north, south, east or west due to intervening terrain. There
simply is not the revenue available in such a market to fund
the investment required to cover a majority of the population
OTA.

Seems just what translators were designed to do. I don't know how feasible it is, but perhaps the only hope would be for the broadcasters to pool their resources to install translators at the extreme north and south ends of the market. Although as we've already determined, in the US, much easier to get people to buy cable or DBS. Propagation in mountainous terrain is strange.