[opendtv] Re: Blue Ray has competition

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:49:54 +1200

Thankyou John,

Yes, I understand the reason for existance of the regional coding. It's
a wicked old world that forces the likes of Hollywood to apply such
restrictions.

I cannot deny the "living in paradise" statement. I do think I am
fortunate in that respect.

Regarding the region 4 specific DVDs, yes all DVDs sold in NZ are
required to be PAL. There is a law that decrees that merchandise be "fit
for purpose". Clearly, if NTSC discs, region 4 or otherwise, give people
problems with their PAL only TVs (because they do not have an unusually
cleaver DVD player), then they contraviene this law. I have observed
though that it appears to be acceptable to sell NTSC discs in Australia.
Quite often there is no statement on the DISC cover clarifying if it is
NTSC or PAL. These are generally NTSC.

Sometime back I noted that a particular DVD rental store here tried to
import R4 (I presume Mexican) NTSC discs. That got them into a spot of
bother!

Barry Wilkins
 =20
From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> So you may say, stop the complaining and go get some R1 DVDs. Do you
> know that it is illegal for outlets here to sell anything other than
R4
> DVDs. And by the way. Before anybody says that there is no difference
in
> an NTSC or PAL encoded disc. There certainly is!
>
> My old TV would not render any colour using an NTSC R1 disc while
being
> used on my multi-region DVD player. Why? Because the TV was PAL only
> compatible. I could play the same disc on my player using a new multi
> format TV from a shop here without a problem.
>
> So now you would say, "Hey get a new TV." Well that's wonderful isn't
> it. Because Hollywood has decreed a regional coding system that the
rest
> of the world then feels hell bent on circumventing, we must all go
> change our otherwise perfectly operating TVs so that we can watch
> (according to Hollywood) illegal R1 DVDs.
>
> I do feel I must have ruffled your feathers somewhat John. Best relax
> and have a nice cup of tea old chap.
>
> Barry Wilkins    =3D20

=20
=20