[opendtv] Re: Blue Ray has competition

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:57:34 -0700

>Can I  remind those people that had the USA had 625 line PAL for the last
50 years there would be no motivation to go to HDTV because resolution is
> quite acceptable on the average screen.

The PAL (Phase Alternate Line) feature in the 625 line system has
significantly less to do with that system's visual superiority than do
certain other unrelated system features. The 625 PAL system, being closely
modeled after 525 NTSC, generally gains it's superiority from two major
differences which have little to do with clever design.
  1. The 625 line per frame feature, which is responsible for improved
vertical resolution, is simply a result of it's ~50 Hz V scan rate, which is
tied to the 50 Hz power line frequency found in most (all?) PAL countries.
The H scan rate for both systems is nearly identical (about 15.7 Khz).
However, when a scanning system refreshes at 50 Hz the scan rate per frame
is ~625 lines. When the frame rate is refreshed at 60 Hz, the resultant scan
rate it is ~525 lines per frame.
  2. The RF bandwidth allocated to a TV channel in PAL countries is
generally 7 to 8 Mhz rather than the 6 Mhz allocated in North America. This
additional RF bandwidth is a very significant contributor to the visual
superiority but again, has no direct relationship to the 625 PAL systems
design.

The PAL feature itself is indeed a clever design change which eliminated the
need for a HUE/Tint control and which was an important feature in earlier
color TV set design. In more recent years advancements in receiver design
have rendered this feature to be of  lesser value. The addition of the PAL
feature did reduce chroma V resolution and also create a relatively
significant problem for program producer in that the resultant 8 field color
frame was responsible for post production difficulties and was a major
factor in the early adoption of component video systems by PAL countries. To
be accurate though, component systems brought much than that to the table.

( I believe the above statements to be accurate but are based upon
experiences from many years ago so please chime in if required for clarity!)

Regarding the poor quality you have noted on imported NTSC product, I see
two possible culprits in addition to the lesser native quality of the 525/6
MHz video system:
  1. Poor standards conversion - not all such hardware is created equally.
  2. Failure to request that the product be delivered in the 601 digital
video format. Most all major syndicated product is available in that format
and is generally it's native format.