[opendtv] Re: Blue Ray has competition

  • From: "John Golitsis" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:06:15 -0400

I am sipping on a cup of coffee right now, but still, but feathers are not
ruffled!

I guess my 'issue' was that at first, you railed against the region coding
scheme.  Then, when it was pointed out that you can readily purchase a
code-free
player, you railed against NTSC versus PAL.  So at the end of the day, it's not
the region coding system that has your feathers ruffled, but rather the lack of
timely PAL conversions.  These are very different issues.  Your problem would
not be solved by simply scrapping the region coding system.

As for your experience with region free DVD players, the unit you purchased may
not have had the ability to convert NTSC->PAL, or the setting that controls the
output was not correct.  Region free players that convert to either PAL or NTSC
are readily (more or less) available.