[opendtv] Re: Apple MacBook debuts Thunderbolt I/O

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:01:12 -0500

At 11:30 PM -0500 2/24/11, Richard C. Ramsden wrote:
Thunderbolt, formerly known as Light Peak was originally designed as an optical interface. I'm not sure what Intel wants, but something like an external PCI-E interface comes to mind.

Apple jumped on this bandwagon because DisplayPort has been DOA for consumer electronics.

Intel has been promoting Lightpeak for a year. Assuming collusion between Intel and Apple is naive at best.

Optical implementation for Thunderbolt are supposedly in the works. Intel noted that the first products use copper because the cost of the optical components is prohibitive at this time. But optical interconnects will be significantly faster than the copper version, so it is likely that they will start to appear when the component costs come down.

While Display Port lost out to HDMI in the consumer space. it still makes great sense for PCs, and Apple has moved to this interconnect for professional displays, while supporting HDMI for consumer products like Apple TV; and HDMI adapters are available for Apple Display Port connectors.

It is clear that Apple and Intel have worked together on this technology. It is less clear how well it will fare in the PC industry where bottom line price often drives what is included. Thunderbolt is a workstation level technology, so I would not expect to see it on cheap PCs. I would also note that the new Macbook Pros are workstation class portable machines, and have a very strong following in the creative world, especially Hollywood.