[opendtv] Re: Apple MacBook debuts Thunderbolt I/O

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:28:03 -0800

"The interconnect supports two protocols, PCI Express and DisplayPort,
Intel said. Apple suggested it can also handle Ethernet, FireWire or USB
traffic for external peripherals such as RAID arrays and works with
adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA."

I think this will be a welcomed advance for the MacBook Pro community.
While Display Port might be implemented scarcely, this is not a singular
interface but great for multiple devices.

Many have abandoned the desktop/tower for the laptop and expect the same
number of devices to interconnect.  But with fewer laptops incorporating
docks, and the small form factor inhibiting them, a one-connection-does-all
is very welcomed, even if just for Mac users, allowing one connector to
interconnect all those deck devices when returning from the field.  Well, I
guess two because they didn't incorporate the laptop power.

I suppose USB 3.0 might promise similar possibilities, but USB 2.0 doesn't
cut it as I have tried this for my wife who has clients over several
locations and works out of a home-based office.

So to me, this is another case where Apple is leading the way and PC must
mimic to keep up.

Dan

Disclosure: typed on a powerful HP laptop costing over $4K with the docking
station but can't get half of the ports to work because the drivers are
incompatible with Windows 7 Pro, not to mention the adapters built into the
laptop that don't work, either.