[opendtv] Re: Apple MacBook debuts Thunderbolt I/O

  • From: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:44:37 +0000

The HDCP (copy protection) part of HDMI is still controlled by Intel same as
DVI.

Best Regards
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com

From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 10:53:54
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Apple MacBook debuts Thunderbolt I/O

At 6:18 PM -0500 2/26/11, Albert Manfredi wrote:

>Methinks your blind loyalty makes you miss the forest through the
>trees, Craig.

Me thinks Bert is still hopelessly stuck in the previous century.

>I'm not sure this proves anything. The Apple approach would have
>been to develop another non-compatible interface soon enough, had
>Firewire become an industry favorite. The idea is to encourage
>people to buy into the walled garden only. (FWIW, I never had
>anything against Firewire technically. Perhaps it should have been
>used instead of USB. But even its one greatest asset, the fact that
>it needed no single bus master, will become possible with USB 3.0.
>Conversely, the fact that USB 1.0 and 2.0 did need a bus master soon
>became a big who cares, so that consumers never even knew or cared.)

Clearly there was a time when Apple chose technologies that were
either ahead of their time or proprietary. A list of Apple firsts:

3.5" floppy drive - became an industry standard

Standard networking via Appletalk - years ahead of PC networking -
Apple eventually move to Ethernet when it emerged as the industry
standard. The first Mac products with industry standard RJ-45
Ethernet connectors introduced in 1997. Apple introduced products
with Ethernet in 1990
and chose to use a proprietary AUI connector. The reason for this was
that both twisted pair and coax Ethernet implementations were widely
used, thus the AUI connector provided a simply way to use either; the
reason the connector was proprietary is that the industry standard
AUI connector was the same as the connector Apple was using for
monitors, and they were worried about having two different ports on
the machines using the same connectors.

CD-ROM - became an industry standard

Firewire - a significant factor in Apple's dominance as an
Audio/Video content creation platform.

Display Port - an industry standard that is now beginning to see
widespread use.

I could go on with things like a mouse, touchpad, mag-safe power connectors...

The important point is that Apple is now using industry standard
connectors for most products, but is often the first to pioneer a new
standard.

>Same deal here. The PC and CE industries aren't using DisplayPort,
>so Apple embraces it. I have no doubt in my mind that
>DVI-morphed-into-HDMI can and will be updated to do anything
>DisplayPort does that HDMI currently can't do, but Apple prefers to
>make its customers buy into their own procucts. By the way, they
>were doing similar things way back in the early days of Ethernet
>products, with their AAUI interface, when the rest of the world was
>using AUI (to connect computing devices to any Ethernet physical
>layer, via an external transceiver).

Too bad you are wrong about this.

Amazon is showing monitors with display port from:
Asus
Apple
Dell
HP
Samsung
Thinkvision
Viewsonic

Every major manufacturer of graphics cards (pci bus) is selling
products with displayport.

And HDMI is limited in resolution, thus not a candidate for higher
end workstations and monitors.

And there are a ton of third party display port adapters for VGA and
HDMI as well as multiport hubs.

>>  Fortunately Display Port is HDMI compatible, so a simple dongle
>>  is all that is necessary
>
>Hardly makes it comatible. To me, compatible means that a simple
>cable, with AT MOST different connectors at each end, is all that's
>required to make the two devices talk. A dongle is enough to make
>the customer say, what the heck, I don't have to deal with that if I
>buy the proprietary peripheral device. I know I would.

Not all dongles/adapters are bad when the port supports multiple standards.

But the real beauty of Display Port (and Thundrebolt) is the physical
size of the connector. Expect to see this in many products in the
future.

Also expect some innovation as third parties develop Thunderbolt hubs
and peripherals for many applications.

>>  And what is HDMI backward compatible with?
>
>Why, DVI, of course. With a cable that has nothing more complicated
>than different connectors at each end. (But I acknowledge that this
>doesn't always work right, or at least didn't in the early days of
>HDMI.)

:-)

>>  Try telling a home theater enthusiast how compatible it is with
>>  those expensive Monster cables for analog component and DVI.
>
>A sucker is born every minute. You can buy any manner of very
>expensive gold plated cables for HDMI too, if it means impressing
>impressionable friends. I'm positive that Monster Cable will make
>hyper-expensive interconnects for DisplayPort too.

The point was that TVs also have migrated through a variety of
interconnect standards, and in the end the industry created a
proprietary interface (HDMI) with proprietary copy protection,
because they did not want to let Intel control the copy protection
standard via DVI.

Both HDMI and Displayport/Thundrebolt will see widespread use...