[opendtv] Re: Apple MacBook debuts Thunderbolt I/O

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:52:06 -0600

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> Other new features of HDMI 1.4 compare to DVI are: support for
> stereoscopic 3D (now widely used), Audio Return when TV display can
> send digital Audio back to AV receiver for display (that is
> promising for Netflix enabled TV sending audio back for surround
> sound system display), Ethernet 100 mb/s access (TV can access
> Ethernet through Blu Ray player etc.) and additional color spaces
> such as sYCC601, Adobe RGB, Adobe YCC601.

The usefulness of the audio return channel depends entirely on how one sets up
the TV/audio system. As far as I can tell, it only helps those who use their
audio system as an HDMI switching device. Since most TVs these days support
multiple HDMI inputs, and Toslink or earphone (analog stereo audio) output,
it's easy enough to get good audio, even 5.1 audio, without this ARC feature.
Without requiring any additional cables in so doing.

One HDMI cable from any HDMI source to the TV. And one Toslink (or analog)
cable from the TV to the audio system.

Parenthetically, I've noticed that TVs have started to drop the stereo analog
output jacks, favoring only the Toslink option for audio output, and some TVs
also provide the earphone jack. TVs have also been dropping the Y/C video
input, retaining composite and component.