[opendtv] Re: 20040722 Thundering Thursday Thanks (Mark's Mon day Memo)

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:56:47 -0700

>From: Keith Jack <Keith_Jack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:43:26 -0700
>
>There are many local stations that already pull bit rate from HD program in
>order to include a SD version and/or to send data. Did anyone notice when it
>happened?

I certainly notice! Our local ABC affiliate multicasts 1 HD + 1 SD program
(ironically, the same program) and our PBS affiliate also does 1 HD + 1 SD
(different programs). I don't have access to the original full bitrate HD
streams, so I can't do an A/B comparison.

But I can definitely see that ABC HD and PBS HD don't look nearly as good as
CBS, Discovery  or any of the other HD channels I get.

Perhaps more to the point, even my wife and kids notice this. They don't work
in this business and haven't spent countless hours examining video as I have.
Untrained viewers DO see the difference!

Of course, content rules. But all other things being equal, they (and I) would
rather watch the prettiest pictures than the "pseudo-HD."

-- Frank