[opendtv] Re: 20040722 Thundering Thursday Thanks (Mark's Mon day Memo)

  • From: GaryBliev@xxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:53:39 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/04 7:42:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The nut of the issue would be why, to you, HDTV in a transport with SDTV
> seems lower quality than HDTV with no other program service.  Logically,
> HDTV is HDTV is HDTV.

Uh, no.  The HDTV with another program source is likely to be bit rate
reduced from some number (say 17) to, say, 13, to make room for the SD feed at,
say,
4mb.  The HD may also have been converted from 1080i to 720p to make it
easier for the encoder to encode.

Personal example:  We went on the air with DT in January.  We could only air
the PBS national HD feed. They encode video at about 16-17 mpbs.  So, when we
only aired them, the bit rate was 16-17 mpbs.

After we were able to get our encoders working, we bit rate reduced to
13.3mpbs for the HD to make room for a 4mb SD service.  Shortly afterward we
also
converted the 1080i to 720p.

So, the HDTV we have now is not the HDTV we had in January.

We now have stat-mux enabled, so our HD bit rate is now varying between 11
and 17 mbps.  But we're still at 720p.

Gary Blievernicht