[opendtv] Re: 20040722 Thundering Thursday Thanks (Mark's Mon day Memo)

  • From: GaryBliev@xxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:25:00 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/04 10:17:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> 4Mbit is pretty high for an SD feed. 3-3.5 should be more than enough.
> I'm not sure what encoder and mux youre using, but there are some that
> let you prioritize your HD VBR at the MUX in order to squelch the SD
> feed if it is being bitrate starved.

If I recally correctly, the SD can now vary between 1 and 5 mpbs.  We can't
completely squelch the SD as it is required to be of essentially the same
quality as our analog service to meet the FCC's simulcast requirement.  (Which
would seem to leave a lot of room for subjective evaluation, and I'm sure a lot
of
people would say that 3 mb is sufficent to meet that requirement)

The priority "weighting" between services we can do.  We're still
experimenting.

The SD does get pretty low during cartoons.