[openbeosnetteam] Re: Testing the stack

  • From: "Brennan Cleveland" <warriorspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:16:33 -0600

Hello,

I think I have it mostly ironed out.  I still have a couple of
questions, though:

>You can use jam install-networking.
>The net_stack_driver will not be installed anymore. Philippe, I
>forgot why you did that.

Do I still need net_server_driver?  If I dont copy the net_stack and
net_server driver files to
/boot/home/config/addons/kernel/drivers/bin, the commands do not work.

>The bin files will be copied into current/tests/kit/net (in your OBOS
>CVS tree) and the libraries into the subfolder lib. You can copy
>other apps into that folder and they will automatically use our
>netstack.
>There is no need to install it manually.
>Do not forget to disable the bone_api_driver (renaming the network
>modules folder into network.bone should work, too).
>
>There was a problem with the network adapter drivers (RTL8139, etc.)
>as they were installed automatically, too. This conflicted with the
>already installed drivers. I think it is solved now, but better you
>make sure that this is no problem anymore.
>
>The userland test stack did not work very well (at least for me).

I'm not using BONE, just straight R5.03 net_server... Should I kill
net_server before testing?  I'm thinking so...

>Oh, there is a problem with your /etc/protocols file. Philippe wrote
>this some time ago on the mailing list:

Yep, forgot about that.  I grabbed the one from my BSD box, and that
is fixed now.

So, this is the procedure I will follow:

1.  jam NetworkingKit
2.  jam install-networking
3.  copy net_server_driver/net_stack_driver to the proper directory
4.  disable the NIC in Preferences | Network
5.  kill net_server
6.  go to /current/tests/kits/net and run ifconfig <mynic>
<mynetaddress>
7.  run ping, traceroute, etc..
8.  make changes
9.  jmp 1

Does this look like a proper procedure?

Also, is our stack entirely contained within the libnet.so and
libnetapi.so files?  I guess this harkens back to question about
whether either of the net_*_driver files are actually needed...

I want to iron out a very definite testing procedure that I can
thoroughly document.

Thanks,

Brennan