[openbeosnetteam] Re: Testing the stack

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:10:28 GMT

Sorry, can't replied sooner.
But Waldemar did it, thanks to him!

> > As I stated earlier today, I've been away from OpenBeOS since June.
> > I am now going about setting up my test environment (again) for our
> > stack.  I have a few questions:
> >
> > 1.  Are these manual instructions still a valid way to install the
> > stack (w/o using jam install-networking)
>
> You can use jam install-networking.
> The net_stack_driver will not be installed anymore. Philippe, I
> forgot why you did that.

I don't know anymore myself.
I remember disabling the install-networking action in our rtl8139
driver, because we were overwriting, eventually, Be Inc. RTL8139 family
driver, which is bad.
Maybe I've done same to all of our drivers, which doesn't make much
sense for net_stack_driver and net_server_driver, I agree!
I may eventually fix that today.

> The bin files will be copied into current/tests/kit/net (in your OBOS
> CVS tree) and the libraries into the subfolder lib. You can copy other
apps into that folder and they will automatically use our netstack.
> There is no need to install it manually.
> Do not forget to disable the bone_api_driver (renaming the network
> modules folder into network.bone should work, too).

This is not required, as our "ethernet interfaces" module skip /dev/net
/{api|stack|server} device entries.

> There was a problem with the network adapter drivers (RTL8139, etc.)
> as they were installed automatically, too. This conflicted with the
already installed drivers. I think it is solved now, but better you
make sure that this is no problem anymore.

I confirm that.

> The userland test stack did not work very well (at least for me).

Please, tell me more about your issues on the userland test stack, as
I'm aiming to make it fully usable, specificly for new testers coming
to us.
AFAIK, all internal stack code is the same, and should run the same way
hosted in userland or by kernel.
But I may have missed some issues, though.

> > f) Test the stack
> >
> > You should free one of your /dev/net/*/0 network card (by disable
> > in
> > BONEyard, or by disabling in Network for net_server)
> > Then, run the ifconfig tool from Terminal to see (and start) the
> > stack
> > detected interface(s)
> > Last, play with ping, arp, traceroute, etc...
> > </cut>
>
> I think that BONEyard can stay enabled if you disable
> bone_api_driver.

Don't worry about bone_api_driver.
It's only a matter to free at least one LAN device interface from being
used (think "open()") by or BONE or net_server stack. On my system, I
added a second card to allow me to use it with our stack and still
continue to have Internet access thru my router box.

BTW, under BONE, using Boneyard Profiles support could help to quickly
allow an interface to BONE stack our OBOS stack...

BTW, we still need to find a code name four our network stack
environnement, instead of this "OBOS network stack".
;-)

> > I also properly copied our lib*.so files into a ./lib directory in
> > the same directory that I have our binaries (ping and so on)
> >
> > The above seems to work on one box and not on another.
>
> Probably it is the problem mentioned in (2)...

Most probably.

> > 2)  Does my test machine have to use an RTL8139 based nic?
> > I am testing on a machine w/a BeOS support 3COM 3C509 nic, and the
> > other machine has an RTL8139.  The 3COM machine fails every command
> > with some variation of "icmp: unknown protocol" while the 8139
> > machine is able to ping other hosts using our stack.  They were set
> > up using the instructons above.
>
> Oh, there is a problem with your /etc/protocols file. Philippe wrote
> this some time ago on the mailing list:

Oh, damn, I still doesn't comit them *somewhere* in the CVS.
I'll open a new task called "Installation", as we need to build a
better Installation process than our current one.
A shell script would help here, including placing these extra config
files.
If someone want to take this task, he's welcome, otherwise I'll try to
come with something shortly.

> It is great to have some more people here.
> Good luck with our netstack! You will need it. ;)

Can't deny it!
But the more we will try/test it, the better.
Last year, before Waldemar comes, I guess I was the last one to have
some knowledge on how it was supposed to be
installed and working :-)

- Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

He who attacks the fundamentals of the American broadcasting industry
attacks democracy itself.
                -- William S. Paley, chairman of CBS