[openbeosnetteam] Re: Testing the stack

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:34:27 +0100

Hi,

> >You can use jam install-networking.
> >The net_stack_driver will not be installed anymore. Philippe, I
> >forgot why you did that.
>
> Do I still need net_server_driver?  If I dont copy the net_stack and
> net_server driver files to
> /boot/home/config/addons/kernel/drivers/bin, the commands do not work.

net_server_driver is only needed if you want to test the userland stack.
The net_stack_driver is used to communicate with the netstack. Without it
libnet.so will not be able to create a socket, etc.

> >The userland test stack did not work very well (at least for me).
>
> I'm not using BONE, just straight R5.03 net_server... Should I kill
> net_server before testing?  I'm thinking so...

The best is to comment the net_server out of your BootScript.

> So, this is the procedure I will follow:
>
> 1.  jam NetworkingKit

This is needed to compile the net_stack/server_drivers.

> 2.  jam install-networking
> 3.  copy net_server_driver/net_stack_driver to the proper directory

3.1. create the links in the dev/net dir (only the first loop ;)

> 4.  disable the NIC in Preferences | Network
> 5.  kill net_server

You should also test a clean system (no net_server was running).

> 6.  go to /current/tests/kits/net and run ifconfig <mynic>
> <mynetaddress>
> 7.  run ping, traceroute, etc..
> 8.  make changes
> 9.  jmp 1
>
> Does this look like a proper procedure?

Yes, it looks very nice. I hope you will soon get to point 8. ;)

> Also, is our stack entirely contained within the libnet.so and
> libnetapi.so files?  I guess this harkens back to question about
> whether either of the net_*_driver files are actually needed...

Our libnet.so only talks to net_stack_driver. When you create a socket it opens
/dev/net/stack and uses some ioctl() calls to configure everything. The handle
that is returned is the opened file handle to the /dev/net/stack driver. This
allows you to use POSIX read/write/close like in a normal BSD environment.

> I want to iron out a very definite testing procedure that I can
> thoroughly document.

This would be really helpful for newcomers. Thanks.

Waldemar