[openbeosnetteam] Re: Testing the stack

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:58:26 +0100

On 2004-01-01 at 20:10:28 [+0100], Philippe Houdoin wrote:
> Sorry, can't replied sooner.
> But Waldemar did it, thanks to him!
>
> > > As I stated earlier today, I've been away from OpenBeOS since June.
> > > I am now going about setting up my test environment (again) for our
> > > stack.  I have a few questions:
> > >
> > > 1.  Are these manual instructions still a valid way to install the
> > > stack (w/o using jam install-networking)
> >
> > You can use jam install-networking.
> > The net_stack_driver will not be installed anymore. Philippe, I
> > forgot why you did that.
>
> I don't know anymore myself.
> I remember disabling the install-networking action in our rtl8139
> driver, because we were overwriting, eventually, Be Inc. RTL8139 family
> driver, which is bad.
> Maybe I've done same to all of our drivers, which doesn't make much
> sense for net_stack_driver and net_server_driver, I agree!
> I may eventually fix that today.

[...]
> > There was a problem with the network adapter drivers (RTL8139, etc.)
> > as they were installed automatically, too. This conflicted with the
> already installed drivers. I think it is solved now, but better you
> make sure that this is no problem anymore.
>
> I confirm that.

Just trying to clear that up: As I understood it the problem was that the
OBOSInstall jam rule was buggy and and the drivers were always installed on
a `jam all' and not just on a `jam install-networking' (well, this part is
a fact :-), which left people who just built the whole tree with no
networking since the drivers installed from our tree were overriding (as
opposed to overwriting) Be's, as they were installed in
/boot/home/config/...

Since that bug is fixed, re-enabling the installation rules should be just
fine, unless there are other concerns that I'm not aware of. Whoever runs a
`jam install-networking' should know what they're doing, IMHO.

CU, Ingo