[openbeosnetteam] Re: Fix for resolving host names

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:16:41 +0100

> > Did I got lost here?...
>
> Will see... :-)

Yes! :)

> > Are we still talking about resolving by looking up entries in
> > /etc/hosts here?
>
> Yes, absolutly. I should not use "DNS" term but Network Hosts Names
> service...

But I actually meant DNS. ;)

> > I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you guys:  Are you
> > talking about /etc/hosts lookups still failing here, or are you
> > talking about DNS lookups?
>
> Both of them may failing, but I didn't investigate that far.
> What I mean is that I fix *only* the h_errno crashing bug in libnet.so.
> But the fact remains that hosts names lookups failed on second try,
> hence the h_errno value set who previoulsy crash but now returns the
> error up to client.
> DNS or local /etc/hosts-based, I can't tell, it's still yet to
> discover.

I was talking about DNS and you both were talking about hosts.

> > Of course DNS lookups wont work for
> > people on DSL (PPPoA) or Cable, as route doesn't work.
>
> Of course.

Nah, don't be so pessimistic. My IPCP module creates a default route for me and
I added the DNS servers manually.
The first name is resolved in Net+ when surfing to any web page. The second try
fails.

> > Does DNS
> > resolution work, at least partially, for people testing PPP?  What is
> > the status on that?
>
> Waldemar ?

The only problem I have is that I cannot remove the default route. DNS works
exactly as well as for you two.

Waldemar