[openbeosnetteam] Re: Fix for resolving host names

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:58:57 GMT

> Well, here is my experience.  The /etc/hosts lookups work fine when
> testing ping and ftp on my local network after compiling with your
> #undef fix.  I can create an arbitrarily long hosts file and
> repeatedly run ping or ftp against these entries without any crashes
> at all...
>
> I think you came up with an alternate fix?

Yes, one that keep the thread-safety of h_errno, that the #undef
h_errno fix don't.
But, in final, I've the same behavior than you.
/etc/hosts lookups works fine.

But as soon as I try a DNS resolution, I (we!) hit the missing route
support.
I'm working on it...

> Just to emphasize, Im
> using the fix proposed yesterday to add "#undef h_errno" prior to the
> "extern int h_errno" declaration in the gethostnamaddr.c file (all
> the other files in libnet.so that had the h_errno declaration already
> had the #undef in them).  This fixed compiled fine, and I have no
> problems resolving any host names or aliases on my LAN via the
> /etc/hosts file.

Me neither.
Problems starts with DNS, but without route control support in the
stack, we're stuck now.
I'll see tomorrow if the old route module I reintroduce quickly works
as expected, but I don't have free time anymore
now, should wait one or two days...

> I hope this helps you clarify where the issue lies.

Looks clear for me.

- Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Bipolar, adj.:
        Refers to someone who has homes in Nome, Alaska, and Buffalo,
New York