[openbeosnetteam] Re: Fix for resolving host names

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:40:23 +0100

> > I'll volunteer to work on libnet.so.  I am testing anyway, and
> > finding the bugs involves digging in, as in this host name resolution
> > problem...
>
> I'll work on it too, as I'm also testing the stack.

Very nice! Thank you.

> >> I will try to find out how it is used exactly (or if it is used at
> >> all). Why is there h_errno_tls then?
> >> Is our POSIX errno thread-specific or global?
>
> Waldemar's implementation of h_errno is actually correct.

Just to make things clear: This is not my implementation. Other people invested
hard work into it and I merely tried to fix it. ;)

> A cursory look in the OBOS sources reveals that we use h_errno_tls for
> thread-specific data.  I'm wondering if you're seeing a segfault
> because h_errno_tls hasn't been instantiated yet (via
> initialize_before() or some other mechanism; this is pure speculation
> on my part.

I am not sure about that. Is it really never called? Did you "grep" through the
source?

> BTW: The return from hstrerror() looks really weird and isn't
> thread-safe.

I will try to look at it at the weekend (if you are not faster and fix ;).

Waldemar