[obol] Re: odd Mt Tabor Junco song

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 16:41:09 -0700

> From: Dave Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Saturday, June 7, 2014 4:28 PM
> To: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [obol] Re: odd Mt Tabor Junco song
>
> Years ago, there was a junco on the U of O campus that sounded more like some
> sort of desert sparrow (i.e. Sagebrush or Brewer's). I remember talking to
> Allison Mickel (who worked on campus) about it. As I recall, she had been
> hearing it for four or five years. Since Junco songs are learned rather than
> inherent, I often wonder what influences the occasional individual to offer
> up a totally unique song. It's always fun to hear an unrecognized song, even
> if the songster ends up being something common rather than rare. Dark-eyed
> Junco and Yellow Warbler seem to most often be the culprits in my experience.
> I end up chasing down an oddly-singing Yellow Warbler at least once or twice
> every year.
>
> Dave Irons

I once heard a junco on Mt. Tabor that sounded to me like a Golden-winged
Warbler.   Ted Kenefick drove up from Eugene, and we played tapes of
Golden-winged Warbler, and got a response that sounded like the bird whose song
we played.  Eventually the bird came in and it was a Dark-eyed junco.  I have
heard one other do that song subsequently.    Since both of the juncos were
"Oregon Juncos"  they couldn't have learned their songs from a Golden-winged
Warbler, but perhaps were doing a poor job of copying some other species.

Jeff