[obol] odd Mt Tabor Junco song

  • From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 15:27:44 -0700

I heard what may be the same individual about a month ago, given that it
was the same quadrant on the top of Mt Tabor. When I heard it I assumed it
was a warbler song I didn't know, maybe a species I'd never seen. Once I
tracked down the source I moved on w/o elaborate examination of the singer.
I think it was a typical looking "Oregon" Junco. I had a bird singing at my
house (25 miles nw of Portland, continuous forest in the neighborhood) for
three years that I at first assumed was a Black-throated Gray Warbler. It
was a month too early for that species, but I didn't track it down until
the second year, when it proved to be a very ordinary looking Oregon junco.
No trill of any kind in the song. I don't know if it attracted a mate, but
I don't believe any other male juncos occupied the yard when it was around.
It was here at least three springs, for the full season. Lars