[obol] Re: odd Mt Tabor Junco song

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 23:28:30 +0000

Years ago, there was a junco on the U of O campus that sounded more like some
sort of desert sparrow (i.e. Sagebrush or Brewer's). I remember talking to
Allison Mickel (who worked on campus) about it. As I recall, she had been
hearing it for four or five years. Since Junco songs are learned rather than
inherent, I often wonder what influences the occasional individual to offer up
a totally unique song. It's always fun to hear an unrecognized song, even if
the songster ends up being something common rather than rare. Dark-eyed Junco
and Yellow Warbler seem to most often be the culprits in my experience. I end
up chasing down an oddly-singing Yellow Warbler at least once or twice every
year.

Dave Irons

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 15:27:44 -0700
Subject: [obol] odd Mt Tabor Junco song
From: larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I heard what may be the same individual about a month ago, given that it was
the same quadrant on the top of Mt Tabor. When I heard it I assumed it was a
warbler song I didn't know, maybe a species I'd never seen. Once I tracked down
the source I moved on w/o elaborate examination of the singer. I think it was a
typical looking "Oregon" Junco. I had a bird singing at my house (25 miles nw
of Portland, continuous forest in the neighborhood) for three years that I at
first assumed was a Black-throated Gray Warbler. It was a month too early for
that species, but I didn't track it down until the second year, when it proved
to be a very ordinary looking Oregon junco. No trill of any kind in the song. I
don't know if it attracted a mate, but I don't believe any other male juncos
occupied the yard when it was around. It was here at least three springs, for
the full season. Lars