[obol] Re: odd Mt Tabor Junco song

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 16:31:53 -0700

There is, as usual at least one wicked Yellow Warbler at Malheur HQ this
year.  It isn't in the class with the near-perfect fake Prairie Warbler
songs and the like of past years, but it has a gasping, soft
shreedle-squeedle-sqeeek that we chased several times.  It has almost no red
streaking; I'm not sure if that denotes age in Yellows.

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon

From:  Dave Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
Date:  Saturday, June 7, 2014 4:28 PM
To:  Lars Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [obol] Re: odd Mt Tabor Junco song

Years ago, there was a junco on the U of O campus that sounded more like
some sort of desert sparrow (i.e. Sagebrush or Brewer's). I remember talking
to Allison Mickel (who worked on campus) about it. As I recall, she had been
hearing it for four or five years. Since Junco songs are learned rather than
inherent, I often wonder what influences the occasional individual to offer
up a totally unique song. It's always fun to hear an unrecognized song, even
if the songster ends up being something common rather than rare. Dark-eyed
Junco and Yellow Warbler seem to most often be the culprits in my
experience. I end up chasing down an oddly-singing Yellow Warbler at least
once or twice every year.

Dave Irons

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 15:27:44 -0700
Subject: [obol] odd Mt Tabor Junco song
From: larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I heard what may be the same individual about a month ago, given that it was
the same quadrant on the top of Mt Tabor. When I heard it I assumed it was a
warbler song I didn't know, maybe a species I'd never seen. Once I tracked
down the source I moved on w/o elaborate examination of the singer. I think
it was a typical looking "Oregon" Junco. I had a bird singing at my house
(25 miles nw of Portland, continuous forest in the neighborhood) for three
years that I at first assumed was a Black-throated Gray Warbler. It was a
month too early for that species, but I didn't track it down until the
second year, when it proved to be a very ordinary looking Oregon junco. No
trill of any kind in the song. I don't know if it attracted a mate, but I
don't believe any other male juncos occupied the yard when it was around. It
was here at least three springs, for the full season. Lars