[obol] Fort Rock Raptor Survey

  • From: "Kim Boddie" <kcboddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL Sightings" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "COBOL sightings" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:07:23 -0800

I joined Lowell  Franks yesterday on his ECAS Fort Rock Raptor Survey.  We were
under cloudy skies with light to calm winds and temps. ranging from 20 - 39
degrees F.  We had a fun day counting 135  raptors from 10 species.  Red-tails,
Rough-legged and Bald Eagles were the dominate species.  We could not relocate
the Redpolls we found yesterday but we did find 3 N. Shrikes, a herd of 100+
Elk, and lots and lots of Robins with a Merlin watching them in one field.

We counted:
Red-tailed Hawk -  59                                   American Kestrel   -
2                 Bald Eagle   -  16A, 8S
Golden Eagle    -     6                                    Rough-legged Hawk -
32               Ferruginous Hawk - 5
Prairie Falcon    -   4                                     Merlin        -   1
                               Cooper's Hawk    -   1
Unid. Buteo   -   2                                          Great Horned Owl
-- 1

Kim Boddie
Bend