[obol] Fort Rock Raptor Survey

  • From: "Kim Boddie" <kcboddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "COBOL sightings" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL Sightings" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 16:35:05 -0800

Today, 11/7, I joined Lowell Franks on his Fort Rock Raptor Survey.  We started
out at 0830 with calm winds, mild temps. and mostly cloudy skies.  It looked
like it was going to be a high number day with lots of birds on the first few
legs.  At 1000 the storm front hit us and the winds jumped up to gusts of 25
mph.  All of a sudden we were watching tumbleweeds shooting across the fields
instead of hawks.  The high winds kept up until we finished the route at 1300
hrs.  The perched birds we did find were sitting horizontal instead of
vertical.  We also watched one mouse hunting Coyote plus 150 Pronghorn in two
herds.  We ended up with 65 raptors.

Raptors Counted:   Red-tailed Hawk  31;  American Kestrel  1; Northern Harrier
3; Bald Eagle  2A; Golden Eagle  4;  Rough-legged Hawk  14;  Ferruginous Hawk
7;  Prairie Falcon  2; Great-horned Owl 1.

Kim Boddie
Bend