[obol] Re: Boreal Chickadees?

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 15:33:07 -0700

I wouldn't be surprised if Boreal Chickadee was an extremely occasional
vagrant in the high elevations of NE Oregon. Due to their extreme
irregularity, their habitat preference, and the lack of people birding at
5,500+ ft., it's no wonder that none (to my knowledge) have ever been
recorded in Oregon. I wouldn't completely rule them out for Oregon, but I
wouldn't plan a trip looking for them either.

Regarding the ongoing discussion of CB Chickadee numbers, I've had what
seem to be higher number of them in my yard in Eugene over the past month
or so. They typically show up at my suet/peanut feeders with fledglings in
July and August, but usually disperse by now. More than usual seem to be
hanging around this year.

-Brandon

-----
*Subject: Re: Boreal Chickadees?*
Date: Wed Oct 7 2015 16:40 pm
From: greenfant AT hotmail.com

In Northern WA state (anywhere between Harts Pass and Mt. Salmo),
Boreal Chickadees are strictly confined to their habitat of pretty
much 5500ft and above. I'm not aware ever having heard of a sighting a
few miles "down the mountain" from their habitat. I.e. towns like
Conconully or Loomis (the former is birded quite heavily in the
winter) just do not see them, in no season.

In summary, Boreal Chickadee is not a species to be expected as a vagrant in OR.

Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR